Over-the-counter or (OTC) orthotic insoles are foot supports that can be made from various materials which include:
OTC insoles are designed to fit inside your shoe. These have become popularized through T.V. commercials, fancy packaging
and can be bought at pretty much any grocery/pharmacy store.
OTC’s can be marketed to:
- Provide comfort
Bring pain relief from common conditions:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Arch support problems
OTC insoles are also available to fit in a variety of shoes:
- High heels
- Athletic shoes
That work with every individual’s lifestyle.
OTC insoles are dangerous and can cause more harm than help.
Many people do not realize their feet could be the cause of:
- Back pain
This is why Chiropractors treat issues, such as plantar fasciitis by performing lower back adjustments and look to the feet when diagnosing and treating patients.
Patients must be cautioned against self-diagnosing and using OTC orthotics.
Custom made orthotic insoles are a great solution.
Here are the three bad things that OTC insoles can do to your body.
1. OTC Insoles Do Not Provide Support
- Every person’s body is unique.
We are all different:
- Have different body compositions
This also means that our feet are unique, with some of us even having two feet that completely different from one another. Because of our unique body composition, there is really no one-size-fits-all cure. When it comes to the feet, customization is the key. Ineffective support can lead to increased pain and discomfort.
The way to avoid ineffective support is to seek professional advice first.
- You see the scanners inside the stores to help you find which insole is right for you, however, these are designed to sell, sell, sell.
- Getting a foot scan by a medical professional that can assess your body and feet in person is the way to go.
- They will talk with you, personally about treatment options and will help you find the best solution.
2. Make Physical Discomfort Worse & Cost You More Money because now you need Treatment
- OTC insoles are typically made of inexpensive materials.
- OTC insoles wear down faster and require constant replacement.
You could purchase the wrong type of OTC insole, which can create more pain and discomfort. When experiencing pain or discomfort, our bodies are under stress. Stress also increases from financial burdens or seeking medical treatment which can be time-consuming and uncertain.
Self-diagnosing your issues while standing in a store can be dangerous, instead relieve your stress by seeking expert help.
Custom orthotics are also covered by some insurance providers.
3. The function of Your Foot/Ankle Worsens
- Body function goes down when insoles are not properly prescribed or fitted.
- The wrong insole can make a well-fitting shoe too tight for example.
- Wrong insoles can redistribute body weight the wrong way to think that the foot pain is alleviated but then the ankles get sore or we can’t bend our feet.
- Bad insoles can also make it difficult to run or walk.
- Wearing the wrong insole can create new injuries.
Orthotics alter the way our bodies move and affect how we walk, stand, and absorb shock.
Selecting the right orthotic is essential to how our body functions every day.
Custom orthotics are designed specifically for an individual’s body:
- Stabilize joints
- Reduce pain
- Prevent deformity
- Create proper posture
- Improve foot function
Remember that it’s not possible to purchase OTC insoles designed specifically for an individual.
But you can get custom fit orthotics to:
- Relieve discomfort
- Help your body operate properly
- Saving you stress and money
Reduce your Back Pain with *FOOT ORTHOTICS* | El Paso, Tx
Kent S. Greenawalt, President, and CEO of Foot Levelers discuss how custom foot orthotics can help reduce back pain, low back pain, and sciatica. In a recent research study published by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine (ACRM), researchers demonstrated that Foot Levelers custom foot orthotics help considerably reduce back pain and several of its associated health issues. The research study also demonstrated that Foot Levelers custom foot orthotics and chiropractic care help tremendously reduce low back pain and sciatica. Foot Levelers custom foot orthotics and chiropractic care helped improve the patient’s overall health and wellness. Dr. Alex Jimenez is a chiropractor in El Paso, TX who can help provide these benefits through the utilization of chiropractic care and Foot Levelers custom foot orthotics, among other treatments.
If you have low back pain or have had it, you are not alone. Experts estimate that around 80% of people will experience some type of back problem at some point in their lives. The Global Burden of Disease 2010 lists low back pain as the number one cause of disability worldwide. The good news is the majority of back pain is mechanical in origin or is not organic. This means that infection, cancer, fracture, inflammatory arthritis, and other serious conditions are not the cause. In fact, you may benefit by looking to your feet, knees, and hips as the culprits.
Experienced chiropractors understand there are some other treatments in addition to chiropractic care that help aid pain management, increase mobility, and decrease healing time. Depending on the condition, individuals may experience a wide array of benefits from blending these treatments into their chiropractic treatment. One such treatment is orthotics or inserts. If life were a sandbox, chiropractic care and orthotics would be the best of friends. They treat muscle and skeletal conditions, as does chiropractic treatment.