Making Healthy AdjustmentsNo matter where an individual is on their healthy eating plan, there are common practices that work for many and helps improve their diet. This involves integrating healthy food groups into the diet in different ways, and not giving up when mistakes are made, but learning from them. When developing new healthy habits it takes time, diligence, practice, and research to eat the right foods.
Fruits and VeggiesIt is easier and tastier to forget the nutritious foods and go for the carbs, fats, etc. Rather than trying to add more vegetables, or eating fruit as a snack every day can be tough. An easier, and better way to integrate fruits and vegetables into one’s diet is to substitute the carbs and fats for fruits and veggies in the main meals every day.
- This could be spiralized zucchini, squash, or no-carb spaghetti instead of pasta spaghetti.
- Instead of ice cream try real fruit sorbet.
- Mashed cauliflower instead of white rice or mashed potatoes.
- There are plenty of substitutes that are healthier and just as tasty and as the real thing.
- Healthy recipes out there that can give you ideas on how to do this.
More Fiber and ProteinIt is important that the body gets enough fiber and protein as a healthy energy source. Many individuals can become dependent on:
- Other unhealthy food groups for energy throughout the day.
- Blood sugar
- Turkey bacon
- Whole wheat/multigrain toast
- Whole wheat wrap or sandwich
- Brown rice and beans are loaded with protein and fiber.
- A great substitution for vegetarians/vegans for more protein or fiber
Reduce Sugar IntakeReducing sugar intake or switching to balanced sugars from fruits, yogurt, etc. A diet high in sugar can wreck the body, causing:
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Other unhealthy effects
- Yogurt instead of ice cream
- Healthy fruit drinks instead of soda
- Tea instead of wine
- Keep the indulgences to once or twice a week if possible.
Eating Healthy BenefitsA few of the benefits from eating healthy that will improve quality of life:
- Improved digestive health
- Weight loss
- Reduced to no back pain
- Reduced to no foot pain
- Healthy sleep patterns
- Less fatigue
- Improved focus
- Improved brain health
- Clear skin
- Reduced to no irritability