The western diet is associated with inflammation, and inflammation is central to autoimmunity and autoimmune diseases. Keeping the inflammation down can help in lengthening time between attacks. What to eat and what not to eat are the common questions. In order to quiet inflammation triggers, educate ourselves and live a normal life is the focus.
My 2006 Seminar Series
“Understanding the Origins of Autoimmune Disease”
The Central Question I Asked In This series,
Are We Allergic to Ourselves?
– Are they really “autoantibodies”?
– Self or Non‐self?
I would like to re‐explore this question using what we have learned in 2018.
Musculoskeletal & Kidney
Our Immune system in battle with our self?
Presence of Anti‐Chromatin, DNA and RNA Antibodies
What Biological Processes May Make Self Into Non‐Self?
– Glycation of protein
– Protein Oxidation
– Amino Acid Conjugation of Protein (Citrullinated Protein/AntiCCP and RA)
- DNA and RNA Changes
– Radiation Induced Crosslinking of DNA
– Oxidation of DNA
– Copy Errors not corrected by DNA repair process – Epigenetic Changes (the methylome)
Where Do Anti‐Cyclic Citrullinated Peptides (AntiCCPs) Come From?
- Activation of the immune system resulting in increased iNOS production of nitric oxide
- Arginine residues in proteins can be converted in situ into citrulline with the release of nitric oxide by iNOS
- The citrulline produced in the protein is now “foreign” and can be recognized by the immune system as such
- Antibodies can then be produced against this “foreign protein”
Disease Modifying Anti‐Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDs)
The Facts on Methotrexate For Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment
Methotrexate is the most commonly prescribed drug to treat rheumatoid arthritis, yet it only helps about half of those who try it. Find out how it works and how to lessen its side effects.
Folate Inhibition To Block Immune Cell Proliferation
TNF Alpha Blocking Biologicals
UNASSISTED COST APPROXIMATELY $6000 PER MONTH
Targeting The Autoimmune Inflammatory Signaling Process With Phytochemicals
Autoantibodies Are Increasing At Least Five Years Before Diagnosis Of SLE
The Argument For Preventing Self From Becoming Non‐Self
A Systems Biology Approach To Prevention
Mechanisms By Which Hypomethylated Immune Cells Can Induce Antibodies Associated With SLE
Transmitting SNPs Through Behavioral Epigenomics
High Correlation Of POPs With DNA Hypomethylation
Jeffrey Bland, PhD
Chairman Emeritus & Member, Board of Directors The Institute for Functional Medicine