Steps to Control Stress
Take frequent physical and mental breaksThroughout a day, there can be several and various stressful situations. Not letting the stress build-up is a skill that needs to be practiced. Every 50 minutes of work, take a 10-minute break to reduce any stress. This will increase productivity. In the middle or last break, practice deep breathing.
- Inhale slowly until the air reaches the bottom of the stomach.
- Exhale slowly like a balloon slowly releasing the air.
- To achieve the full potential of deep breathing, every exhalation should last twice as long as each inhalation.
Caffeine reductionCaffeine can be medicinal in small doses. It increases bile flow. This stimulates the gall bladder and reduces cholesterol. However, too much can interfere with the body’s systems that are responsible for stress response. Try to limit to one to two caffeinated drinks a week.
Regular physical activityPhysical activity is what helps remove waste products, specifically lactic and uric acids, from the muscles and nervous system. An excess of these acids makes the body edgy. Moderate activity prevents and reduces anxiety. Try to get in at least 10 to 15 minutes of activity in the morning and afternoon. A quick walk combined with deep breathing is perfect.
Plenty of sleepHard work and playing hard help the body to sleep to the fullest. An irregular sleep pattern or poor-quality sleep confuses the body. The body reacts abnormally. Examples like confusion, tension, an adrenaline rush kicks in when it is not needed. Chronic poor sleep makes the body more vulnerable to disease and chronic conditions.
Natural Medicine SupplementsNatural medicine supplements have been shown to reduce mild to moderate stress and anxiety.
- Before trying any vitamins, minerals, or herbal therapies check with a doctor. This is to ensure safety with any medical conditions like pregnancy, that could prevent an individual from taking certain supplements.
- Also, make sure if taking any medications that could cause natural medicine supplements ineffective or create a dangerous situation.
- The reason for this is if an individual takes several supplements and develops side effects, it becomes a challenge to figure out which is responsible.
- Quality herbs and supplements can be purchased from a licensed naturopath physician, nutritionist, health coach, or from a health store.
Vitamin BThe B vitamins, especially B6 and B12 help regulate the body’s response to stress and keeps the nervous system healthy.
- Vitamin B complex formula that has at least 25 mg of B6 and also 1 mg of B12 can be taken twice a day.
- These vitamins are optimized when used in combination with other nutrients like a multivitamin-mineral supplement also twice a day.
- B12 in the form of hydroxocobalamin or methylcobalamin is better absorbed than the more common cyanocobalamin.