Individuals turn to chiropractic care neck adjustments to help ease neck problems and alleviate pain. Some of the different types of neck-cervical conditions that chiropractic treats include:
- Cervical intervertebral disc injuries
- Cervical sprain injuries
- Degenerative joint syndrome of the neck
- Facet joint sprain
A chiropractor will evaluate the whole spine because other regions may be affected and/or contribute to the problems. They will determine areas of restricted movement and will look at walking gait, overall posture, and spinal alignment. Before deciding which approach to use, the chiropractor will thoroughly examine the specific cause of the problems. Neck adjustments consist of various techniques and methods.
- Cervical mobilization focuses on using gentle motions around the neck.
- It incorporates the high-velocity low-amplitude technique, which uses quick pressure to release an area.
- This adjustment is best for reducing pain and increasing the neck’s range of motion.
- The cervical drop technique requires the individual to lie on their stomach or side as the chiropractor adjusts the neck, and to prevent any added pressure around the neck, the headrest drops.
- After the chiropractor prepares the neck for the adjustment, they will work on specific points, release the headrest, and quickly twist the neck.
- All of this is done within seconds.
- A standard cervical drop is flexion-distraction.
- This will release tension in the spine.
- This technique improves spinal flexibility by placing the vertebrae in their correct position.
- The patient sits in a chair for this neck adjustment.
- Manual traction allows the chiropractor to move the neck at different angles and helps them determine the right amount of force during the adjustment.
- A chiropractor will cradle the head in the palms of their hands and quickly move it from side to side.
Soft Tissue Massage
- This technique is often used after a complete adjustment.
- A chiropractor will gently massage the neck and apply pressure to any inflamed areas.
- This increases blood circulation and prevents muscles from tensing and contracting.
The benefits that come with using chiropractic neck adjustments include.
- One benefit of chiropractic neck adjustments is that they improve your flexibility.
- Tight muscles or joints out of place make it harder for the neck to move, limiting its range of motion.
- Chiropractic works to reduce poor flexibility by ensuring the bones and muscles are in their proper position.
- Individuals that deal with severe tension often notice their neck and upper back feeling sore.
- Tension tightens the muscles and can cause them to press on nerves.
- If too much pressure is on them, the nerves can send out painful pulses.
- A chiropractor will feel around the neck and shoulders to identify areas of concern. After the examination, they will make the proper adjustments to reduce pressure on the nerves and calm inflamed muscles.
- Arthritis causes inflammation throughout the body. If not treated, this inflammation can increase the wearing down of bones.
- Worn-down bones reduce strength and can irritate nerves.
- Chronic neck pain could indicate that the joints in the neck are misplaced.
- If these joints are not correctly realigned, the constant friction can begin to break down the bones leading to arthritis.
- Chiropractic neck adjustments prevent this by ensuring the joints are in place and maintaining joint health by flushing toxins in and around them.
Most neck pain is the result of inflammation. Individuals can take synthetic medications to reduce inflammation, but they have side effects. It is recommended to add natural anti-inflammatory foods to one’s diet. These won’t only reduce inflammation but can increase energy levels and help the body heal quicker. A few recommended foods include:
Heart disease is the leading cause of death of adults in the United States. Many factors can contribute to heart disease, and research has pointed to inflammation caused by obesity as one of the most significant factors contributing to the development. The main culprits are cytokines produced by excess fat in the body. These cytokines cause inflammation of the walls of the arteries, causing damage and increasing blood pressure. Blood pressure is the force of blood pushing against the walls of the blood vessels. When high blood pressure is present, the heart does not pump blood effectively, causing the heart to enlarge. An enlarged heart is a significant risk factor for heart failure if steps are not taken to remedy it.
Bradley S. Polkinghorn, Christopher J. Colloca, Chiropractic treatment of postsurgical neck syndrome with mechanical force manually assisted short-lever spinal adjustments, Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, Volume 24, Issue 9,
2001, Pages 589-595, ISSN 0161-4754, https://doi.org/10.1067/mmt.2001.118985. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0161475401836915)
Haldeman S. Principles and Practice of Chiropractic. York, PA: McGraw-Hill; 2005.
Hawk, Cheryl et al. “Best Practices for Chiropractic Management of Patients with Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain: A Clinical Practice Guideline.” Journal of alternative and complementary medicine (New York, N.Y.) vol. 26,10 (2020): 884-901. doi:10.1089/acm.2020.0181
Eric L. Hurwitz, Hal Morgenstern, Philip Harber, Gerald F. Kominski, Fei Yu, and Alan H. Adams, 2002: A Randomized Trial of Chiropractic Manipulation and Mobilization for Patients With Neck Pain: Clinical Outcomes From the UCLA Neck-Pain Study American Journal of Public Health 92, 1634_1641, https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.92.10.1634
Wang, Zhaoxia, and Tomohiro Nakayama. “Inflammation, a link between obesity and cardiovascular disease.” Mediators of inflammation vol. 2010 (2010): 535918. doi:10.1155/2010/535918