Table of Contents
Pilates for Pain
Exercise can help with back pain—you’ve probably heard that before. And Pilates tops the list of “helpful for your back” exercises.
This shows 4 Pilates moves to prevent pain. Of course, talk to your doctor before beginning an exercise plan.
Warm-up Your Spine with this Exercise
The cat/cow stretch lengthens and strengthens the muscles along your spine.
- Start on hands (shoulder-distance apart) and knees (hip-distance apart).
- Inhale and look up as you slightly arch your spine. Then exhale, engage your abdominal muscles, and draw your belly button toward your spine as you gaze at your navel. Repeat 5 to 10 times every day.
Not Your Average Sit-up
The chest lift is similar to a basic crunch. The difference? This move deeply targets your abs.
- Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat (hip-distance apart). Bring hands behind head with fingertips touching. Elbows are wide open.
- Inhale, and then as you exhale, pull belly button toward the spine and lift the shoulders off the ground (leading with chest). Really use your abs to lift—not your neck. Inhale again as you release toward the ground. Repeat 6 to 8 times daily.
A Pose to Help Ease Low Back Pain
Doing this exercise regularly teaches you how to engage your abs to help support and lengthen the low back.
- Start by lying on your back with knees bent and feet flat (hip-distance apart).
- Arms are straight along the sides of your body and palms are touching the ground. Inhale deeply and engage your abs as you lift your hips off the floor—vertebra by vertebra.
- Exhale and roll back down very slowly, engaging core muscles. Link breath with movement. Repeat 3 to 5 times daily.
An Easy, Restorative Stretch
This move really stretches tight, sore low back muscles.
- From hands and knees, bring hips toward heels, and stretch arms in front of you so palms are touching the ground.
- Press forehead gently to the floor and do some deep belly breathing. Bring hands toward the legs to slowly sit up. Repeat 3 times daily.
The information herein on "Pilates For A Healthy Spine" is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional or licensed physician and is not medical advice. We encourage you to make healthcare decisions based on your research and partnership with a qualified healthcare professional.
Our information scope is limited to Chiropractic, musculoskeletal, physical medicines, wellness, contributing etiological viscerosomatic disturbances within clinical presentations, associated somatovisceral reflex clinical dynamics, subluxation complexes, sensitive health issues, and/or functional medicine articles, topics, and discussions.
We provide and present clinical collaboration with specialists from various disciplines. Each specialist is governed by their professional scope of practice and their jurisdiction of licensure. We use functional health & wellness protocols to treat and support care for the injuries or disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
Our videos, posts, topics, subjects, and insights cover clinical matters, issues, and topics that relate to and directly or indirectly support our clinical scope of practice.*
Our office has reasonably attempted to provide supportive citations and has identified the relevant research study or studies supporting our posts. We provide copies of supporting research studies available to regulatory boards and the public upon request.
We understand that we cover matters that require an additional explanation of how it may assist in a particular care plan or treatment protocol; therefore, to further discuss the subject matter above, please feel free to ask Dr. Alex Jimenez, DC, or contact us at 915-850-0900.
We are here to help you and your family.
Licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN*) in Florida
Florida License RN License # RN9617241 (Control No. 3558029)
License Compact Status: Multi-State License: Authorized to Practice in 40 States*
Presently Matriculated: ICHS: MSN* FNP (Family Nurse Practitioner Program)
Dr. Alex Jimenez DC, MSACP, RN* CIFM*, IFMCP*, ATN*, CCST
My Digital Business Card